Professor & Department Chair, Psychology Department
Ph.D. University of California, Los Angeles
B.A., Boston University
University of California, Santa Cruz
Department of Psychology
1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Psychology Department is located in Social Sciences 2
Faculty Office: Room 355
Department Chair Office: Room 258
Psych Dept Phone: 831-459-5084
Psych Dept Fax: 831-459-3519
Campbell Leaper is a developmental and social psychologist who investigates gender and sexism during childhood, adolescence, and adulthood. Please visit his Research page for more information.
Professor's work has been featured in multiple news sites, such as The New York Times  , The Washington Post, USA Today, Santa Cruz Sentinel, National Public Radio, CBS News, BBC, KGO, LiveScience, ScienceDaily, EurekAlert!, Psychology Today, Slate, Buzzfeed, Jezebel, Wired, and the American Association of University Women.
He also organizes and co-chairs the biennial Gender Development Research Conference, which is held every two years in San Francisco.
Professor Leaper advises and collaborates with graduate students in the developmental psychology program. He also teaches and supervises undergraduate psychology majors.
(See Research page for more information)
- Social construction and socialization of gender in childhood, adolescence, and adulthood
- Sexist attitudes and experiences with sexism
- Gender ideologies
- Self-concept and personal identity
- Social identity; intersection of gender and other social identities
- Language and social interaction
- Peer groups, friends, families, and other social relationships
- Gender bias in the schools
- Girls, women, and underrepresented students in STEM
- Academic and athletic achievement
- Images of gender in the media
Psych 1: Introduction to Psychology
Psych 100: Research Methods
Psych 106: Social and Emotional Development
Psych 107: Gender and Development
Psych 140Q: Social Psychology of Gender
Psych 193: Field Study
Psych 194A: Advanced Research in Developmental Psychology
Psych 195: Senior Thesis
Psych 244B: Proseminar: Social and Personality Development
Psych 254: Psychology of Gender
For information on current and former graduate students as well as former undergraduate students working with Professor Leaper, please go to Students. Also, pictures of current and former students working in Professor Leaper's lab can be found at the Photo Album.
Recent University Administrative Service
- Department Chair, Psychology Department (2015-present).
- Director, Graduate Program in Developmental Psychology (2007-2010 and 2014-2015).
- Interim Provost of College Nine and College Ten (2014).
- Chair, Academic Assessment Grievance Committee, Academic Senate (2008-2013).
- Member, Executive Committee and Academic Standing Committee, College Ten (2007-2014).
- Associate Dean of Social Sciences (2000-2006).
- Founding Provost of College Nine and College Ten (2000-2006).